Residential electrical repair is best left to professionals, but some jobs are within the scope of a homeowner. Be sure to follow proper safety protocols before attempting any tasks that require a permit or license.

Frequently blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers could indicate an electrical problem in your home. A professional can help you determine what the issue is and recommend a solution.

electrical repair

If an outlet or switch seems cracked or broken, it’s time to call for a residential electrical repair. Electrical outlets aren’t just convenient places to plug in devices; they also protect us from electricity-related hazards such as fires and shocks. A broken or damaged outlet is not only a potential hazard, but it can also destroy your devices and put you and your family at risk of injury.

Switches and outlets may become cracked or broken over time due to wear and tear, or they can be damaged by accidents or natural disasters. The wiring within them can also break down over time, leading to problems like a short circuit, which is not only dangerous but can lead to fires if it’s not repaired immediately.

Often, the first sign of an issue with an outlet or switch is a burning smell. This may be caused by an overload of electrical current in the outlet or switch, which can burn and heat them. It can also be caused by something that’s not properly plugged in, as outlets are meant to prevent things from being pulled out of them (such as hairdryers).

If you’ve checked all the other outlets in the room and they’re fine, there may be a problem with the switch or outlet itself. The best way to find out is to open the breaker panel, which typically features switches that are labeled “OFF” on one side and “ON” on the other. If the switch labeled “ON” is in the OFF position, it will likely need to be replaced by an electrician.

If an outlet appears to be hot to the touch or ungrounded, it’s time to call an electrician for a residential electrical repair. Ungrounded outlets are a fire hazard and can pose a serious shock hazard for you and your family. The good news is that this type of outlet is relatively easy for an electrician to replace.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights may seem like a minor nuisance, but they can be an indicator of a serious problem that puts your home and safety in jeopardy. If your lights are flickering regularly, it is important to call an electrician right away so that they can identify and resolve the issue before it becomes worse and causes further damage.

Lights that are flickering often indicate a loose or faulty connection between the switch and the light fixture. Wiggling the light switch or turning the power on and off can help you determine if the problem is caused by a loose connection. Loose connections can also be a sign of outdated wiring throughout the house or in the electrical panel. It is important to contact a professional when dealing with these types of issues, as loose or damaged wiring is a major fire hazard and should be fixed immediately.

Another common cause of flickering lights is that the bulbs are not compatible with the light fixtures. Try replacing the bulbs with a type that is compatible with the fixture, and if the lights continue to flicker, it may be time to replace the fixture itself.

Lastly, the problem could be a voltage fluctuation in your home. Ideally, the voltage in your home should be between 115 and 125 volts. You can check this yourself using a simple plug-in voltage reader, and if the reading is higher than 125 volts, it means there is a problem with your home’s wiring.

Having old or outdated wiring, breakers, connectors, and switches can also cause your lights to flicker. It can be difficult to know what the problem is, and unless you are comfortable working with electricity, it is best to leave this type of work to a professional. If you do decide to take on the job yourself, it is always wise to turn off the power at your home’s main electrical panel before beginning any repairs. This will ensure that no one is injured or killed in case of an accident. Additionally, it will also help prevent any additional problems from occurring while you are trying to make the necessary fixes.

Overloaded Circuits

The electrical circuits in your home are designed to handle a specific amount of power. When too much of that power is used, the wiring will become overheated and potentially start to melt. This is why you need to pay attention to your electrical usage and monitor the condition of your wiring. If you notice signs that your circuits are overloaded, like a breaker repeatedly tripping or fuses blowing, it’s time to call for residential electrical repair.

Overloaded circuits are a leading cause of house fires in the United States and can be caused by many things. For example, when multiple high-powered appliances are plugged into the same outlet, they can draw large amounts of current that your wiring is not designed to handle. This causes the breaker or fuse to trip, which stops the flow of electricity and prevents your home from becoming a fire hazard.

Signs that your circuit is overloaded include lights that flicker or dim, outlets that feel warm to the touch, or a burning smell. If you notice any of these symptoms, immediately turn off the appliance or light that is causing the problem and consult an electrician.

If you have an older home, likely, that the wiring was not designed to accommodate the many electrical appliances and equipment that we use today. This can lead to overburdened circuits, power disruptions, and shorter lifespans for your devices and appliances.

A residential electrician can inspect your electrical system and recommend the appropriate upgrades to ensure the safety and functionality of your home. By upgrading your wiring and adding dedicated circuits for appliances that require a lot of power, you can reduce the risk of overloading circuits and the associated issues.

Another way to reduce the risk of overburdened circuits is to learn which circuits power each device or area of your home. Using a power strip with multiple outlets can help, but it’s also important to avoid using extension cords, never plugging more than one heat-producing appliance into an outlet at once, and positioning kitchen appliances, like toasters and coffee machines, so they don’t all run on the same circuit.

Tripped Breakers

A tripped breaker is one of the most common electrical problems in homes. Unlike a flickering light, it’s usually obvious why your breaker tripped — there was an overflow of current that caused the switch to close and cut off power. Luckily, resetting a tripped breaker is a fairly simple and inexpensive job. Before starting, however, it’s important to take a few safety precautions. Ensure that the floor around the breaker box is dry and make sure your hands and any appliances or lights controlled by the tripped circuit are unplugged.

Start by locating your breaker box, which is typically in the basement, utility room, or garage. Look for a thick metal box with a door and a dozen or more switches that look like thick light switches. Each breaker controls a different part of the home’s wiring. The switches are usually black or off-white, with a number printed on them that indicates the amount of amps they can handle. To reset a tripped breaker, push it to the “off” position and then back to the “on” position. You should feel some resistance and hear a click when the breaker snaps back into place.

If the breaker trips again immediately, even with nothing plugged in and no other devices using electricity, this is a sign that there’s a problem with your house’s wiring. You may need to replace a fixture, outlet, or switch that is damaged or has a bad connection. You could also be drawing too much power from a single circuit and need to redistribute your devices across multiple circuits.

You might be able to solve the problem yourself by following these tips, or you might need to call in a licensed electrician. Regardless, if you’re experiencing any of these electrical issues, it’s best to contact a professional right away to prevent fires and other dangerous consequences. A professional can diagnose and repair these problems safely and quickly, giving you peace of mind that your home is safe and running smoothly.